We cut the magus right down the middle in our latest class feature.
PS 239 – Magus
Book: Ultimate Magic https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/base-classes/magus
- Magi in literature:
- The Batman Test
- Our magi: Jaymon Falcobe
- 6-level caster with spellbook, Int-based;
- ¾ BAB / D8 HD;
- 2 + Int, Climb, Craft, Fly, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (planes), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Swim, and Use Magic Device.
- Good Fort, good Will, poor Ref;
- Proficient: simple and martial weapons, light armor (can cast magus spells while wearing light armor)
- Class features:
- Arcane Pool (Su): 1/2 magus level + his Int mod. Can expend 1 point as a swift action to grant +1 to one weapon, +1/4 levels, for 1 min;
- Spell Combat (Ex): Full round action with one hand free, can make all attacks with weapon (-2 to all attacks) and cast a spell (if casting time is standard action or faster). Can cast then attack or reverse, but can’t cast between attacks. If casting defensively, can take additional penalty on attack rolls, up to Int mod, as bonus on concentration check;
- Spellstrike (Su): When casting spell with range of “touch”, can deliver the spell through wielded weapon as part of melee attack;
- Magus Arcana: The rogue talent of magus class features.3rd level and every three levels of magus thereafter.
- Spell Recall (Su): Swift action to regain a spell already cast, costing arcane pool points equal to spell level;
- Arcane Pool (Su): When enhancing a weapon, can add magic properties;
- Bonus Feats: At 5th level, and every six levels thereafter, gain a bonus combat, item creation, or metamagic feat.
- Improved Spell Combat (Ex): When using spell combat, receive +2 circumstance bonus on concentration checks;
- Fighter Training (Ex): Count 1/2 magus level as fighter level for qualifying for feats;
- Improved Spell Recall (Su): When using spell recall, expend points from arcane pool equal to 1/2 the spell’s level (minimum 1). As a swift action, can prepare a spell in his spellbook by expending points from arcane pool equal to the spell’s level (minimum 1);
- Heavy Armor (Ex): Gain proficiency with heavy armor, can cast magus spells while wearing heavy armor;
- Greater Spell Combat (Ex): When using spell combat, concentration check bonus equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken;
- Counterstrike (Ex): When an enemy within reach successfully casts a spell defensively, that enemy provokes an attack of opportunity from the magus after the spell is complete;
- Greater Spell Access (Su): Learns 14 wizard spells as magus spells of their wizard level, two of each 0-level, 1st-level, 2nd-level, 3rd-level, 4th-level, 5th-level, and 6th-level;
- True Magus (Su): When using spell combat, do not need to make concentration checks to cast defensively. When spell targets the same creature as melee attacks, either increase the DC to resist the spell by +2, gain +2 circumstance bonus to overcome spell resistance, or +2 circumstance bonus on all attack rolls.
Ability Scores: Strength/Intelligence, Dex?
Best Race: Elf, half-elf, half-orc, human. Tiefling
Roles: Tank, longsleeve, 5th member
Roleplaying Keywords: Cocky, SBD, cagey, stalwart.
Visit DriveThru RPG for all your RPG PDF needs.
This podcast is a member of RPG Podcasts.