A blue-skinned giant with shards for hair and wielding a massive icicle like a club gradually glides across the icy terrain.
Glacier Giant CR 15
LE Huge Humanoid (cold, giant)
Init -2; Senses low-light vision; Perception +24
Aura Absolute Zero (15 ft)
AC 25, touch 6, flat-footed 25; (–2 Dex, +19 natural, –2 size)
hp 218 (23d8 +115)
Fort +18, Ref +5, Will +8
Defensive Abilities Form Ice Armour and Weapons; Immune cold; Resist acid 10, electricity 10, and fire 10
Weaknesses vulnerable to sonic
Spd 30 ft.
Melee +1 icy burst greatclub +27/+22/+17 (4d6 + 15 plus 1d6 cold plus frigid, 19-20/x2+1d10 cold)
Ranged rock +9 (1d8+13)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks rock throwing (120 ft.)
Spell-like Abilities (CL 23rd)
3/day – wall of ice (DC 15)
Str 30, Dex 6, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +17; CMB +29 (bull rush +31); CMD 37 (39 vs bull rush)
Feats Anchor to Ice*, Awesome Blow, Cleave, Improved Awesome Blow**, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Cleave, Improved Critical (greatclub), Improved Vital Strike, Martial Weapon Proficiency (greatclub), Power Attack, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (greatclub)
**New feat found in 101 Monster Feats by Rite Publishing
Skills Climb +33, Intimidate +24, Perception +24, and Survival +24.
Languages common, dwarven, giant
Environment cold mountains
Organization solitary, gang (1 and 2-3 frost giants), hunting party (1 and 3-6 frost giants and 1-4 winter wolves)
Treasure double coins, half magic items
Aura of Absolute Zero (Su) So cold is the moisture in the air surrounding a glacier giant, non-magical fire is immediately snuffed, liquid freezes, and creatures suffer 1d6 cold damage each round.
Form Ice Armour and Weapons (Su) Glacier giants do not burden themselves carrying equipment, instead trusting in their natural armour in case of ambush and forming their defences when combat arises. As a move action, a glacier giant can form any melee weapon, shield, or suit of armour familiar to it. Popular examples include a suit of full plate armour (adding a +9 armour bonus to AC and reducing its speed by 10 ft); an ice club; a tower shield (adding a +4 shield bonus to AC); a block of ice which counts as a rock for the glacier giant’s rock throwing ability. Any weapon formed by a glacier giant is considered a +1 icy burst weapon. When a glacier giant forms ice weapons, he does so based on his strength and grasp. He can choose to create wield a two-handed weapon he forms one-handed, suffering a -4 penalty on attacks and dealing +10 damage on a successful hit rather than +15.
Weapons are not normally forged out of ice for a reason; it is an unreliable material in combat. When a glacier giant confirms a critical hit with an ice club, it gains the broken condition. If the glacier giant confirms a critical hit with a broken ice club, the weapon shatters after dealing its damage. When a glacier giant suffers a critical hit, its ice-formed tower shield is destroyed. If the glacier giant has not formed a tower shield, its ice-formed plate mail is destroyed instead.
Frigid (Su) Whenever a glacier giant successfully hits with its ice club, the target might succumb to the chill of the ice shards puncturing its skin. Each round the subject of frigid must make a Fortitude save (DC 15) each or suffer the following effects:
Round 1 – staggered
Round 2 – slow
Round 3+ – petrified
All effects of frigid end on a successful Fortitude saving throw. Creatures immune to cold are immune to the effects of frigid.
Icewalking (Ex) This ability works like the spider climb spell, but the surfaces the glacier giant climbs must be icy. The glacier giant can move across icy surfaces without penalty and does not need to make Acrobatics checks to run or charge on ice.
These slow-moving cousins of the frost giant are rare to the point of myth. The dwarves who first witnessed this giant embodiment of cold’s mastery over ice dubbed it Jokul Frosti, commonly changed to Jack Frost by the villagers who have since crossed them. A glacier giant’s lethargic mannerisms lead many hunters who see one to belief they have caught it injured or exhausted. They mount impromptu attacks, only to find the giant at full strength and ever-ready for a fresh meal.
Glacier giants are only fertile for one year of their long lives. They are particularly active during this mating period. The pursuit of the few or possibly only fertile glacier giant of the opposite gender makes them ornery, and they have been known to band together with frost giants for the company and raid cities to relief stress. Despite their similarities, glacier giants and frost giants cannot breed together, although that does not prevent fertile glacier giants from trying.
Although they need very little food to survive, glacier giants attack potential prey on sight, attempting to freeze any creature not immune to its frigid attacks for later consumption. They stalk icy plains near water in particular to ease transporting their frozen meals back to their mountain cave lairs.
Glacier giants enjoy their resistance to fire and mock any mage in witness of an ineffective fireball or scorching ray. They prefer to corner a few targets behind wall of ice spells and use their Anchor to Ice and Vital Strike feats. Glacier giants beat opponents immune to cold back with their Improved Awesome Blow to better focus on targets vulnerable to the frigid effect of their ice club.
Anchor to Ice [Monster]
Ice crawls off the ground and freezes around this creature’s leg.
Prerequisite: Cold subtype
Benefit: When in icy terrain, as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, this creature can freeze itself to the ground. While in this state, it cannot move and suffers a -4 circumstance penalty to Reflex saving throws. It gains a +1 circumstance bonus on melee attack rolls, a +2 circumstance bonus to melee damage, and a +20 circumstance bonus to Combat Maneuver Defense against forced movement. Ending the effects of Anchor to Ice is a free action.
Design: Ryan Costello, Jr
Thanks to: Hecknoshow
Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity, as defined in the Open Game License verion 1.0a, Section 1(e), and are not Open Content: proper names (character, deities, etc.), dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, characters, and artwork.
Open Content: Except for material designated at Product Identity (see above), the game mechanics of the Glacier Giant are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission.
Compatibility with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game requires the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Paizo Publishing, LLC. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG for more information on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Paizo Publishing, LLC does not guarantee compatibility, and does not endorse this product.
Pathfinder is a registered trademark of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility Logo are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and are used under the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatibility License. See http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/compatibility for more information on the compatibility license.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.
1. Definitions: (a) “Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b) “Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d) “Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts, creatures, characters, stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc. System Reference Document. Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Copyright 2009, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
101 Monster Feats © 2011 Steven D. Russell, Open Gaming License Copyright © 2007
Bestiary 2 © 2011 Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Jason Bulmahn
Glacier Giant. Copyright 2011; Author Ryan Costello, Jr
Got a monster idea? Request it!